Jun 9, 2009

Angel Fire, New Mexico 2009

The weather conditions in Angel Fire, New Mexico had been up and down all weekend raining everyday.
The Monday weather was beautiful until around 2 o’clock and then the rain started to come down.
With pro men only an hour away, many started to get nervous.

The pro men downhill course has had its fair share of victims this weekend. The World Cup downhill
course is arguably the most physical, and mentally the toughest course around. Testing all aspects that
are necessary to win a downhill race.

Luckily when race time came the rain had past and made for a dry course. I left the start box with a clear
head and intentions of throwing down a smooth and faster then my qualifier run. I had a very conservative
Qualifier run in the morning and knew there was plenty of time to be made up in the finals.
I was extremely happy with the track conditions. After a weekend of mostly wet conditions I was a whole lot
more comfortable in the dry. My confidence was up and I was on a great run until three quarters of the
way down. My chain broke and for 30 seconds I had a locked up drive train. It finally released and fell off the
bike so I was able to coast into the last stretch of downhill.

I ended up beating my qualifying time by thirteen seconds but fifteen seconds from were I should of been.
I finished 71st out of 104 Pros and left Angel Fire with a hungry appetite once again. Besides the miss fortune
in my race run it was a great five days out there with friends on a beautiful mountain.

No comments: