Jun 3, 2008

Cal State Round 3_ June 1st, 2008



The 3rd round of the Cal State series brought us back to Good old Fontana, California. A little different from
Angelfire, New Mexico and by that I mean temperature and terrain (no Lift access). Considering I’ve spent lot of time
racing the Fontana courses it was all good! I was surprised to see they decided not to run the traditional Calf State course!
They taped a course down the other side of the mountain. There was a little bit of the National course in it which was fun!
It was actually a fun flowy course. Practice on Saturday was fun, I only banged out five practice runs since the course
was pretty straight forward and it was hot! No need to over exert myself even thou I had Plenty of VitaminWater to
keep me hydrated! I saw alot of people hiking and just thought it wasn’t the best thing to do considering it was a
two run format on Sunday!

When Sunday came around the course was a little beat up from practice but not to bad.
I’d say it was standard Fontana conditions for this time of year! Dry, slick and dusty! They seeded me to start early on
Sunday which was nice. I took off out of the gate nine minutes after they started and had a real clean run for my first run.
I hung out at the bottom to see my time and check the rest of the field and I was sitting in first after we all took our first
runs! I felt I could push it a little bit harder on my second run but didn't want to push it to hard and throw it all away.
I had a two second buffer on second place but it’s anyone’s race so you cant think you have it! You have to give it your
all to the end! On my second run I wanted to chop down a couple seconds on my time which would guarantee me
1st place.

I had a little dab up top and got bumped off line in the bottom section right before the finish but still
manage to pull a decent time! only 1.85 seconds off my first run and with my combined time I placed first! That’s my
second 1st place finish in the Cal-State Series this year so I’m pretty sure I locked down the Championship! I have one
more race in that series in Sept and I will get the Cal-State Championship jersey for 2008!

No comments: