Jun 3, 2008

MSC #3 Angelfire, New Mexico Memorial Day Weekend 2008





Angelfire, New Mexico was a great experience! It took us 14 hours to get out there on Thursday.
It was a long day of driving. When we crossed the New Mexico border It was snowing and we new
we where in for a good time! We pulled in to the Angelfire Resort sometime between 10 and 11pm
and I just hit the sack knowing I had practice at 8am the following morning. Practice was gnarly.
The top half of the mountain was covered with snow and ice. On my 4th run down I had a nasty
crash in the upper section. Pretty much lost my front end on some roots covered with ice and
landed sideways on my leg. It took me a few minutes to get of the course and took the rest of the
day off to care for my injury. Saturdays pros practice was at 8am again and I honestly didn't think I
would be able to ride the rest of the weekend but somehow pulled myself out of bed and geared up!
I took it a little easier that morning knowing the conditions were pretty hectic! My leg and knee felt
better the more I kept moving it so I continued to ride the mountain and ride open practice in the afternoon.
Sunday came around and pro practice was around 12 so I finally got some time to sleep. The storm blew
out and it was clear blue skies and about 70 degrees. Pretty much perfect conditions even thou the top
was still a little wet. The course was starting to dry out and get faster and actually safer! Race day was on
monday (Memorial Day) and the course was in great condition. I took off out of the starting box and
everything was good until this off camber root section were I lost control and flipped over my bars. I got
up fairly quick and jumped back on my bike in a section were you really needed momentum. It didn’t
take long to get back up to speed but still lost the race with that crash! About half way down the 5-6 minute
Course I end up catching the rider in front of me! The bottom half of the course is high speed and didn’t
get the chance to pass the rider. I proceeded to get stuck behind this guy all the way to the finish line. Which
had to of cost me anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds on my time! I ended up placing 22nd out of 60 which I
thought wasn’t to bad considering I had a off the bike crash and was held up for half the course!

No comments: